Prevent a Frozen Water Damage Event in Your Long Island Home or Business this winter.
Freezing temperatures can be incredibly dangerous to your home or business, frozen water, snow and ice can cause significant property damage.
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore professionals specialize in the cleanup and restoration of your Oakdale, Sayville, Bohemia, East Islip, Deer Park or Bay Shore residential or commercial property after a frozen water property damage emergency.
Winter weather and freezing temperatures can be incredibly dangerous to your home or business, frozen water, snow and ice can all lead to significant property damage disasters. On Average each year a quarter of a million homeowners will experience the destructive power of frozen water problems including, frozen pipe bursts, ice dams and other leaking water damage occurrences. A frozen pipe alone can result in gallons of water spilling over your floors, leaking or pouring through ceilings and walls, and ruining furniture and other valuable processions.
Our SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore staff is highly trained and experienced in the cleanup and restoration of your frozen water property damage from frigid Northeast temperatures. Our team can respond quickly and help you assess your damage and find a restoration solution that you can trust.
TOP FROZEN WATER PROPERTY DAMAGE CONCERNS
Ice dams occur after a Long Island snowfall and several days of freezing temperatures, common weather conditions in the Northeast during Winter. Warm air inside your home leaks into the attic and warms the underside of the roof causing snow and ice to melt. The melted water refreezes on the cold overhang and can form icicles and an ice dam on the roof and gutters. This process can cause damage to the roof which can cause water to leak into the home causing water damage to the ceiling, walls, insulation and other areas.
LEAKING BASEMENTS AND FOUNDATIONS
Wet basements are a common occurrence for many homeowners in Long Island, the impact of heavy snow, ice and rain on saturated soil often leads to water leaks, flooding and other types of basement and foundation water damage. Wet basements can lead to significant structural damage, destroy furnishings and other belongings and commonly lead to elevated mold and humidity issues.
FROZEN WATER PIPES
When Northeast temperatures drop to at or below freezing, the water flowing in your plumbing has the potential to freeze. Water expands when it freezes, the expansion of the frozen water can cause a rupture, causing catastrophic flood damage. It’s important to note that the break often occurs between the frozen point and the faucet, as the ice blocks the pipe and the water pressure increases leading to stress on the pipe. Pipes that run through the exterior walls are particularly at risk, but those that run through low- or uninsulated attics and crawlspaces can also freeze.
Although, these frozen water damage situations are very common, sometimes the damage could have largely been prevented by taking a few preventative steps ahead of time. These are a few tips you can take to try and avoid turning the coming frigid days and nights into inconvenient and expensive property disasters.
HELP PREVENT FROZEN WATER ISSUES IN YOUR HOME
- Exposed pipes are the most susceptible to freezing, insulate pipes in your home's crawl spaces and attic.
- Heat tape or thermostatically controlled heat cables can be used to wrap pipes and prevent ice dams.
- Seal air leaks in your attic, basement and exterior walls, look for air leaks around electrical wiring, vents, and pipes, and use caulk or insulation to keep the cold out.
- To avoid ice dams, add roof and soffit vents to regulate the air temperature close to the underside of the roof.
- Sump pumps and sub-floor drainage systems are typically used to avoid the continued damage associated with basements and other foundation issues.
- A trickle of hot and cold water might be all it takes to keep your pipes from freezing.
- Let warm water drip overnight, from a faucet on an outside wall.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
Our specialized equipment and highly trained staff has the scope of services to handle your property restoration needs from start to finish. We understand you may not have all the answers, calling our team connects you to professionals that can provide the answers to your restoration concerns and tailor a solution to repair your home or business, “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO Is Always Open for Your Long Island Property Emergency
Our SERVPRO team never stops being READY to handle your Long Island fire, water or mold property disaster.
Property Disasters don’t have regular hours and neither does SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore, Long Island’s dedicated team of technicians and project managers.
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore provides emergency cleaning and restoration services to Sayville, Oakdale, East Islip, Bohemia, Islip or Bay Shore Long Island 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
When property damage from fire, smoke, water strike, time is of the essence. Contacting a Disaster Restoration company within the first 24 hours after the initial damage can better prevent permanent destruction and reduce repair costs to homeowners. That’s why, SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore provides 24-HOUR Emergency Support EVERYDAY! We always have a trained Disaster restoration professional here to help you with your fire or water property damage, call us (631) 563-1709.
We answer the phone ready to help with your property damage
As a leader in property damage restoration and repair services, we have helped countless families and businesses through very unpredictable and devastating residential and commercial property losses. We understand you may not know what to do in a disaster situation, SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore can help by responding faster with professionals who can help you through the restoration process.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your property damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Emergency Contact: After a property disaster or emergency at your Long Island home or business, your call to us will connect you to one of our trained SERVPRO restoration professionals to take some basic information to provide to our project managers and technicians.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
Inspection and Damage Assessment including Estimate: One of our trained professionals will come and assess your property damage. What type of fire is it? What type of water loss was it? These answers are critical to addressing the unique solution for your restoration needs.??
Restoration, Cleanup and Repair: With your approval, our team of skilled technicians starts working on your restoration and cleanup. We can provide board-up, packing and itemizing your property, water, smoke or soot removal, drying and dehumidification, cleanup and repair services depending on your specific situation and restoration needs.
Your best defense against long lasting commercial fire, smoke and water property damage is a quick and rigorous response by our trained technicians. Each SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore team member has been thoroughly trained in fire restoration, water restoration, carpet & upholstery cleaning, and mold mitigation before stepping foot onto your home or business. Our restoration technicians utilize state-of-the-art equipment and technology to restore and repair your entire structure and belongings as efficiently as possible.
Property Emergencies happen every day and acting fast after property damage could mean the difference between restoring your home quickly to preloss condition or needing extensive and expensive reconstruction. Our SERVPRO team never stops being READY to handle your Long Island, Suffolk or Islip county fire, water or mold property disaster, we have the best staff, with the best resources standing ready to answer your call quickly and restore your home or business, “Like it never even happened.”
Frozen Pipes: A Winter Water Damage Emergency
Low temperatures cause seasonal Long Island property disasters including frozen pipes, ice dams and other frozen water damage concerns.
We can’t control the weather frigid winter temperatures are here in the Northeast, the lower temperatures cause a new set of seasonal Long Island property disasters including frozen pipes, ice dams and other frozen water damage concerns.
Every winter our SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore professionals help countless home and business owners in Sayville, Oakdale, Bohemia, Bay Shore or East Islip with the restoration, cleanup and repair of their property following a frozen water property disaster.
Why is a Frozen Pipe a Concern?
- When water begins to freeze, it expands. This can cause both plastic and metal pipes to burst, possibly leading to significant water damage to your home or business.
- Since water expands when it freezes, it puts unwanted pressure on pipes.
- As water freezes, the force exerted from the expansion can cause a pipe to burst, regardless of the strength of the material.
- You may not know you have a burst pipe as the water has turned to ice. Once the temperature starts to warm and thawing begins, leaking and flooding can occur.
TYPES OF WATER DAMAGE FROM A FROZEN PIPE OR OTHER FROZEN WATER DAMAGE
Long Island pipes are typically protected in insulated spaces reducing the risk of freezing, however pipes that run through exterior walls or those that run through uninsulated or under-insulated spaces can freeze. A Frozen water property damage event including a frozen pipe burst is especially likely during days and weeks of extended subfreezing weather, or when pipes are in high risk locations for example in cold areas caused by poor insulation, cracks in the walls or foundation, or around entry points commonly found in basements and crawlspaces. Frozen water pipes and the damage they can cause are a reality for thousands of Long Island home and business owners each year.
Frozen pipes can often lead to water damage from leaking water or flooding. Water damage can be very intrusive it can cause obvious surface damage but can easily penetrate all the porous materials in your home or business and additionally cause structural damage and mold growth. When moisture meets your property the initial water damage to your home or business and the contents are considered primary issues, with prompt mitigation and repairs by our SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore teams, almost all primary issues from water and flood damage can be reversed, avoiding the need for additional costly restoration. However, any continued damage due to rising humidity and prolonged exposure to water or water-soaked materials is considered secondary damage. Water damage that sits for just 24 hours will begin to carry a higher risk of permanently damaging your property, flood and other water damage that goes untreated for longer will almost always result in serious and lasting damage.
FROZEN PIPE WATER DAMAGE TREATMENT AND RESTORATION
The key to avoiding costly secondary damage is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property with proper mitigation. Our SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore teams have the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. We begin removing the standing water from your property with extraction methods, and rapidly dry your structure and contents with dehumidifiers that lower the indoor humidity levels, so your building dries out quickly. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore professionals will answer your call with rapid action and a full arsenal of drying equipment.
FROZEN PIPE PREVENTION
Short- and Long-term solutions for low temperature plumbing problems include:
- Locate and seal cracks and openings in the walls, attic, basement or crawlspace.
- Weather strip and caulk around crawlspace doors and basement windows.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated. Pay special attention to areas where pipes are located.
- Insulate unprotected pipes and don't leave gaps. Pipe sleeves simplify the process. Keep the pieces tight against each other and seal the slits and joints with duct tape.
- Install storm windows over basement windows or replace the old windows with energy-efficient alternatives.
- Find your main water shutoff so you can turn off the water quickly if needed. Locations vary — look in the crawlspace or basement where the water supply enters the house, inside a water meter box directly outside the house or near the water heater.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to let warm air flow around the supply lines. Move any cleaners or other chemicals out of the reach of children.
- Keep your thermostat at the daytime setting during the night. If you'll be away for several days during subfreezing weather, keep it set above 55° F.
What Do You Do if You Have a Frozen Pipe?
- If you have a leak or flood, turn the water off immediately to prevent further water damage and call a licensed plumber to make repairs.
HOW SERVPRO CAN HELP RESTORE YOUR FLOOD AND WATER DAMAGE FOLLOWING A PIPE BURST
When winter temperatures drop below freezing, the water flowing freely in pipes throughout your home or business have the potential to freeze. When your pipes burst from freezing water, getting the water out fast is our highest priority. Our SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore team comes ready with all the necessary equipment to get it done quickly because we want to prevent it from causing further damage to your property. We have years of experience in dealing with Long Island residential and commercial water damage, and we know what it takes to restore your Sayville, Oakdale, Bay Shore, North Bayshore or Deer Park property, "Like it never even happened."
If you have water damage to your home or business give us a call, we are always here to help!
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore (631) 563-1709
Link: News 12 – Recommendations on how your Long Island property can survive winter.
For more INFORMATION ABOUT RESTORATION AFTER A FROZEN WATER PROPERTY DAMAGE... Connect with us on Facebook!
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore has some helpful tips to keep your Long Island kitchen safe from fire damage.
Cooking fires are the most common cause of home fires, follow these tips to help prevent potential cooking hazards in your home this holiday season.
Don’t let a cooking fire ruin your holiday season, SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore has some helpful tips for preventing fire property disasters.
While most of us are thankful for spending time with loved ones and eating too much delicious food on Thanksgiving. There are more potential hazards in your Oakdale, Sayville, East Islip or Bay Shore kitchen than over stuffing your turkey or yourself.
Year after year cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking accounts for about 47% of home fires and 45% of the fire-related injuries reported across the country each year. The NFPA says Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day and then Christmas Eve. Make sure you keep yourself and your family safe this year with these safety tips.
REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE IN THE KITCHEN
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says 6 out of 7 cooking fires occurred while the cook was out of the kitchen, and 2/3rds of these fires happened in the first 15 minutes of cooking. The BEST WAY you can do to keep you and your family and property safe this year, ALWAYS watch what you’re cooking. If you’re using the stovetop, stay in the kitchen and watch closely. Also, experts recommend setting a timer periodically to remind you to check the oven.
OTHER FIRE PREVENTION TIPS INCLUDE
- Roll up sleeves and don’t wear loose fitting clothing that could catch and open flame or heating element
- Ban children and pets from a 3-foot “safe zone” around the stove
- Keep the stove and oven clean, turn pot handles in to avoid spills and cleanup any messes when appropriate
- Keep potholders, dishtowels, oven mitts, food packaging and other clutter off and away from the stove.
- Clean cooking equipment thoroughly because built-up grease can catch fire.
- Don’t over heat your oils, and wait for grease to cool before disposing, tossing hot grease in a trashcan could turn into a disaster
Smoke detectors are your first line for defense against a fire disaster situation so make sure you have one installed in or near the kitchen and make sure it’s working properly.
IF A FIRE DOES HAPPEN, CONSIDER THESE SAFETY TIPS
- Just get out, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
People often try to put out cooking fires themselves with a fire extinguisher or even water. NEVER use water on any grease fire. Store fire safety equipment in a cabinet or under the sink – It’s important to have a fire extinguisher close by as well as a box of baking soda or salt for grease fires. The first step you can take is turning the stove off and having a lid handy to put over the pan you can also smother the fire with baking soda or salt. If the fire is in your oven just close the door and turn off the heat. Done improperly your Long Island cooking fire can spread to other parts of the kitchen, any time you are unsure of how to combat a fire your best option is to leave and call your local fire department.
CREATE AND PRACTICE A FIRE ESCAPE PLAN
In the event of a fire, remember that every second counts, so you and your family must always be prepared. Escape plans help you get out of your home quickly.
Practice your home fire escape plan at least twice a year, more often if you have small children.
Some tips to consider when preparing this plan include:
- Find two ways out. Visit each room of your house and find two ways out, including windows and doors. Make sure all escape routes open easily so you can get outside, install emergency release devices on any security bars on doors or windows. Practice feeling your war out in the dark and with your eyes closed.
- Involve children in planning. Consider having your children help create a fire evacuation plan. Draw a map of the home and have children mark two exit routes and the locations of smoke detectors. Make sure your children know NOT to hide from firefighters or other first responders.
- Choose a meeting spot. Decide on a meeting place outside, such as a neighbor’s house, mailbox or stop sign. It should be in the front of the house so emergency responders can see you when they arrive. Agree not to go back into the house after you leave.
- Have a backup plan. If the planned exit routes are blocked and it’s not possible to leave the house, close all doors between you and the fire. Place a towel under the door and go to an exterior-facing window. Call the fire department to report your location.
Whether you’re trying a new cooking technique or cooking your signature dish the way you have countless times before; practicing these important holiday safety tips can help you to avoid major mishaps that could lead to smoke or fire damage.
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore wishes you a safe and happy holiday season. If your home does experience fire or smoke damage, give us call at (631) 563-1709. We can restore your home “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore wants your Long Island Property to be Ready for Winter with these tips for a safe season.
Preparing your home for winter can help prevent ice dams, frozen pipes, and other types of water or fire damage to your Oakdale or Bay Shore home.
Winter is Coming, SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore wants you to protect your Long Island home from fire and water damage emergencies. Before the chilly weather and snow storms sets in its time for some Long Island home repairs and maintenance to keep you and your family safe and warm this winter.
Keep the Cold Outside
Check around the windows and doors for any gaps in the insulation or caulking, your Deer Park, Bay Shore, Oakdale and Sayville home can lose a lot of warmth in the winter months if not properly sealed. Remember to change your HVAC system filters and have your unit inspected for debris or mold. At entry ways have a non-skid mat or rug to protect floors and prevent falls. Inspect your roof and siding for gaps or damage from storms, make any necessary repairs.
Protect the Pipes
Pipes located in attics, crawl spaces, basements, and near outer walls can be susceptible to freezing in Long Island extreme temperatures, avoid a costly pipe break or other water related disaster. Wrap exposed pipes in your attic, basement, or crawlspaces, with extra insulation around them to prevent them from freezing and causing damage. Don’t forget your water heater, add additional insulation if it’s located in an exposed or cold location.
Prepare the Car for Cold Weather
There are several things you can do to keep your car in good shape during cold conditions. Make sure you have a new set of windshield wipers and switch to a winter washer fluid. Check the tire pressure levels regularly with temperature changes, and make sure the coolant and antifreeze levels are plentiful. It’s a good idea to get an oil change to keep the car working at optimal efficiency. Have an emergency kit for your car including: flashlights, warm blankets, water and a first aid kit. It’s also a good idea to keep a shovel, ice scraper and a bag of sand.
Don't Forget Yard Care
Even with the cold weather conditions, your yard still needs to be maintained. Make sure tree and shrub branches are well away from the house and windows. Icy conditions can cause branches to break and damage your home. Autumn is the time for falling leaves, so make sure to clean out the gutters, to avoid possible ice dams and other costly water damage, and rake them off the lawn, clean the flower beds and prepare them for next year with fertilizer.
Snow and Ice Preparedness
Switch out Spring and Summer tools for Winter ones, keep the snow removal tools close at hand; including roof rakes, snow shovels and blowers, and pet-safe ice melt. Stock up on emergency supplies like batteries, ready-to-eat foods and maybe a generator.
Winter temperatures and storms can come on quick, often before you’re even prepared for it, don’t put off getting your home ready for the winter season. Taking some time to prepare your home for winter can help prevent ice dams, frozen pipes, and other types of water or fire damage to your home. SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore is prepared to help New Jersey home owners in the case of a water or fire property damage Emergency. Our highly-trained technicians are ready to get your Deer Park, Oakdale, Brightwaters, Bayshore home back to normal after a disaster, “Like It Never Even Happened.”
Contact us for 24-7 Emergency Service for Fire and Water Damage Emergencies effecting your Oakdale, Bay Shore or Sayville home or business.
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore is Always here to help! (631) 563-1709
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore works quickly after a fire or water disaster, helping avoid interruption to your restaurant or commercial property.
Business interruption affects many parts of a business and can lead to a significant loss of profit, SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore can help!
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore works quickly and efficiently to restore your fire and water damage, with little to no interruption to your Sayville, East Islip, Deer Park, Long Island restaurant or other commercial property.
Running a Long Island restaurant or other commercial property is a challenge, time is of the essence when a disaster strikes your Sayville, Oakdale, or East Islip restaurant or other commercial property. Business interruption affects not only your relationships with customers but also impacts the lives of your employees and can lead to a significant loss of profit. Our technicians make your recovery process from smoke, fire and water damage as simple as possible, from performing an initial inspection and assessment of existing damages to finalizing all repairs and performing a final walk through.
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore’s fire and water damage restoration process begins with locating and repairing the source, making sure that it is no longer a problem. Each Long Island property loss situation requires unique steps to ensure the safety of your patrons, employees and the workers performing repairs. If any hazards exist that affect the operations of your company, we notify you immediately. To properly remove standing water and other moisture that exists on your Islip, Oakdale or Bay Shore property, we use quality water extraction equipment such as; wet-dry vacuums, hand-held and truck mounted extractors, or submersible pumps, depending on the amount of water that exists and the size of the affected area.
Even a localized kitchen fire can quickly spread to cabinetry and counters, requiring the need for both cleanup and even possibly demolition and reconstruction of your Long Island restaurant or commercial property. Still, one of the most significant threats to a customer experience is the odor wafting through the dining area from a recent kitchen blaze. Our teams work tirelessly to clean, deodorize, and repair every damaged item found in your Long Island commercial property. Our experience gives us a unique perspective when it comes to cleaning delicate cooking utensils or high-dollar appliances. We also use an appropriate antimicrobial, antibacterial, or disinfectant to treat potential health risks, repairing your Oakdale, Sayville, East Islip or Bay Shore property to a safe and healthy condition.
Our Commercial Fire and Water Damage Restoration Process
Fire and water damage can leave your Long Island restaurant or commercial property unsafe for potential customers. Our experienced SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore restoration specialists are trained to clean and restore your property with as little disruption as possible.
Step1: Emergency Contact
Step 2: Inspection and Fire & Water Damage Assessment
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof Tarp Service (if needed)
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
Step 6: Cleaning and Repair
Step 7: Restoration & Rebuild
Fire or water damage to your East Islip, Deer Park, Oakdale or Brightwaters business is frustrating and needs to be dealt with by trained professionals to ensure further damage does not continue to impact your commercial property down the road. We understand the level of importance that surrounds maintaining a safe, healthy environment in your Long Island restaurant.
You need access to SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore’s team of qualified professionals who are ready to provide you with the expert restoration services you deserve, a company that puts every effort into making damages on your Long Island property disappear, “Like it never even happened.”
Have our SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore professionals perform HEALTH AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY Services with our HVAC & DUCT CLEANING Team.
HVAC and Air Duct System will start to slowly collect dirt and debris, the cumulative effect of this over time can lead to considerable energy loss.
Health and energy efficiency is a major concern for many property owners and managers. It is becoming increasingly important to clean and maintain your HVAC and Air Duct systems to avoid any negative impact it could have on the health and efficiency of your property and occupants.
As much as half of the energy used in your home or business goes to heating and cooling. Making smart decisions about your heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system can have a big effect on your utility bills — and your comfort.
BENEFITS OF OUR HEALTH & ENERGY EFFICIENCY SERVICES
- Restore peak energy efficiency & lower energy costs
- Eliminate allergens and odors
- Reduce the potential for mold growth
Through normal HVAC use dirt and debris will start to slowly collect on the surfaces of your HVAC components, these contaminants if not properly maintained can cause a degradation of the efficiency of the entire system. The cumulative effect of this over time can lead to considerable energy loss and can be a contributor to higher energy bills for your Long Island home or business. In addition, allergy and asthma sufferers, young children, and other occupants with breathing difficulties are more susceptible to poor indoor air quality.
COMMON PROBLEM AREAS
These are common problem areas that contribute to restricted airflow, increased energy consumption and reduced equipment longevity:
- Duct and System Leakage
- Closed, Clogged or Stuck Dampers
- Filtration Issues
- Excess or Damaged Ductwork
- Failed Duct Liner
- Clogged/Nonfunctioning Exhaust Systems
SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore professionals can perform an inspection to access your system and determine the depth of your problem and if your system could benefit from our cleaning and maintenance services. If moisture is present, the potential for mold growth is increased, sending spores into your Long Island, Sayville, Oakdale, East Islip or Bay Shore working or living spaces, creating a much larger problem.
HVAC AND AIR DUCT CLEANING
Generally, refers to the cleaning of various heating and cooling system components of forced air systems, including the supply and return air ducts and registers, grilles and diffusers, heat exchangers, heating and cooling coils, condensate drain pains, fan motor and fan housing, and the air handling unit housing.
PARTS OF AN HVAC UNIT THAT CAN BENEFIT FROM ROUTINE MAINTENANCE:
- EVAPORATOR COIL: particle buildup can have an insulating effect on the surface of the coil, leading to longer cooling times and greater energy consumption.
- HEATING COIL: dust and dirt will accumulate and clog air passages this restricts air flow and the furnace must run longer to reach desired temperatures. If a coil is severely impacted by debris, it can cause the unit to malfunction.
- DAMPERS AND TURNING VANES: these elements ensure proper air flow throughout your system, particles or larger debris like insulation can obstruct or diminish airflow, leading to an overall degradation of the entire system.
- AIR REGISTERS: dust and debris can accumulate on the blades and seriously reduce air flow, negatively impacting overall energy performance and comfort levels in the space.
- FRESH AIR INTAKE SCREEN: these openings are integral to the quality of air inside your building, they quickly become clogged from environmental debris and buildup inhibits proper fresh air from entering the system.
- FAN AND BLOWERS: particle buildup can reduce the capacity of the blades to move adequate air causing the blower motor to run longer while pushing less air per rotation.
- When HVAC systems are cleaned of dirt and debris, it doesn’t have to work as hard to maintain the desired temperatures, air can flow more freely. As a result, less energy is used, leading to improved cost-effectiveness, longer operating life, as well as health benefits and energy savings.
Our team of professionals can inspect your local Long Island HVAC or air duct system and access your specific situation and work with you to provide a solution to keep your business air quality healthy and energy efficient. The exact solution for your Long Island, Sayville, Oakdale, East Islip or Bay Shore property will depend on a few factors, including the size of your overall duct and vent system, how accessible your HVAC system is to our technicians, and the level of maintenance required.
Give SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore a call for a Free Assessment, we are Always Here to Help!
The SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore Construction Team can help Repair and Restore these 5 Common Property Damage Areas
Our building team can help restore and rebuild your long island property to a safe and welcoming home or business, again.
Putting your Long Island property back together after a disaster can be challenging, our construction team takes pride in helping restore and repair residential or commercial property after a fire, water or mold disaster! Restoring your Oakdale, Bay Shore, Sayville, East Islip, Deer Park or other Islip property, “Like It Never Even Happened” is important to us, making improvements after a disaster is common, and our professionals are also skilled at working with home and business owners to help navigate a rebuild or remodel, our team is here to help from disaster restoration to the final walk through after reconstruction.
5 COMMON PROPERTY DAMAGE AREAS
- Bathrooms suffer common water damage mainly because they are exposed to several water and plumbing sources including sinks and bathtubs/showers in a localized area.
- Kitchens can suffer damage from both water and fire hazards and can see major damage to floors, appliances, cabinets and counter tops.
- Basements are prone to water and mold damage from poor drainage and ventilation, both finished and unfinished basements can see major damage from storm and environmental leakage and flooding.
- Exterior Elements such as a roof, doors, windows and siding are all common locations to see property damage from weather, water, fire and mold. Whether damage is small or extensive, taking care of these problems immediately can minimize continued damage to your home.
- Floors commonly suffer water damage and can significantly affect your home’s overall safety and structure, leading to costly repairs.
These common areas are ideal places to look for upgrades or remodel options when your property suffers from storm, water, fire or mold damage. The SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore construction team can help you reimagine your space and restore and rebuild your long island home to a comfortable, safe and welcoming home or business, again.
- Open-Concept Living: Consider knocking down a wall, creating distinct groupings for the space, and make sure to leave plenty of negative space to help separate the areas and provide space for walking around and entertaining.
- Upgrading Windows, Lighting and Fixtures: Adding a new window, skylight or new light fixtures can brighten up your space and create more flow for enhanced natural light.
- Aesthetics: Color can unify and update a dated space, research color trends and find a style that fits your property. Adding wall art, throw pillows, and other accessories can make the space more welcoming.
- Finishing a Basement: A moisture-free and properly ventilated basement can provide additional living space that is an ideal location for an extra bedroom, home office or entertainment area, and don’t forget some additional storage
- Upgrading your kitchen or bathroom: Updated cabinets, replacing a tub or shower, and new fixtures will make a huge difference, also updating your flooring, backsplash or adding an island for additional counter space are a few options.
A fire, water or mold disaster can ruin your possessions and significantly affect the structure of your home or business, which can result in costly repairs.
Our team at SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore is here to help, we are trusted leaders in the restoration industry and we have the expertise and manpower to address the damage and make repairs. We take pride in every detail of restoring your Oakdale, Bay Shore, Sayville, East Islip, Deer Park or other Islip property and getting your life back to normal as quickly as possible.
Here to Help Tips: Because it’s important to us that you are prepared in case of an Emergency.
Emergencies happen everyday; we have supported countless home and business owners and managers with water, fire and storm property damage.
September was National Preparedness Month; it helps remind everyone that taking little steps to get prepared now, can make a big difference when an Emergency happens.
We here at SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore know that Emergencies happen everyday; we have supported countless home and business owners and managers with water, fire and storm property damage. We understand that your lives are busy, it can be overwhelming to add being prepared in case of an Emergency to your list, and getting started maybe the hardest part. We also know that being prepared can make a huge difference when faced with a disaster and can get your life back to normal more quickly afterwards. Doing just a few things each month can have a big impact if the worst happens to you or your community.
This Month’s Here to Help Tips, start with getting informed and communicating with your family, household and community about potential risks and what your plan will be in an emergency situation.
Step 1: Make a Plan
Start making an emergency plan with your family, friends and household by discussing the types of disasters that could strike and what to do at different times of the day. Discuss how to prepare and respond to emergencies that are most likely to happen where you live, learn, work, and play. Keep your emergency plan as simple as possible and use places that are very familiar and hard to forget. Identify responsibilities for each member of your household and plan to work together as a team.
Fill out a Family Emergency Plan and make sure each member has a copy on them at all times.
FEMA.gov has a printable resource to get you started.
Key Points for building your Emergency Plan this Month:
1. Choose at least two pre-planned places for your family to meet in case of an emergency. One should be right outside your home in case of a sudden emergency, such as a fire. The other should be outside of your neighborhood in case you cannot return home or are asked to evacuate.
2. Hold evacuation drills at home, practice getting out of the house quickly and drive your planned evacuation route. The more you practice, the more confident you will be if you really need to evacuate.
3. Communication is a key component to your safety; make sure you have an out-of-town contact that will help your household reconnect after an emergency. Store an “In Case of Emergency” contact in your phone, have regular conversations about whom to text or call if you need help and where to go during and after an emergency.
4. Create a personalized plan and supply kit for your specific daily needs and responsibilities, taking into consideration any additional friends or family that may be included in your emergency plan, such as elderly neighbors or grandparents. Some key factors to consider when creating a supply list are:
- Different ages within your household
- Medical and Dietary needs including medications
Step 2: Start a Disaster Supply Kit
While your family's Emergency preparedness supply kit and other essentials will be unique to you, there are a few basics that will help to prepare you for success, and get you started on the right track. Your kit should be organized and easily accessible, make sure your kit is easy to carry and contains these basics: water, medical supplies, medications, non-perishable foods, a battery- or hand-powered radio, a manual can opener, a flashlight, batteries, spare clothing items including socks, blankets, cash, tools including a wrench and pliers, local maps and your emergency plan, contact information, important personal and financial information, and a first-aid kit.
It’s also recommended that you have backpack kits for each individual and secondary kits in cars, school lockers and work locations in case you are separated during an emergency situation.
The point about Emergency Preparation is that you never know when or where a disaster could happen. It’s important to take steps now to help make sure you and your family will be prepared with needed supplies and essentials if a disaster strikes later. It’s our goal at SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore to be here to help you restore your property after a disaster, but we also want to try and help you be prepared to face a disaster and to take steps to try and avoid one.
If you have experienced a property disaster and require some restoration help, give us a call we are experienced in getting your property restored, “Like it never even happened.”
Visit us again for more information about our Here to Help Tips, and for even more tips this month visit our Facebook page by clicking here.
Moisture & Mold Solutions for your Oakdale or North Bay Shore Home or Business
If your property mold damage is larger than 10 sq. ft, you should contact a mold remediation service like SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore
Indoor humidity levels between 30% and 50% are ideal.
Moisture problems in your home have a variety of causes and can lead to major property damage and encourage harmful mold and mildew growth.
Common causes of Moisture and Mold in your home can be:
- Water from a leaking water pipe, toilet, shower or bathtub, also weather related flooding in your home. Depending on the severity, conditions can lead to rot, structural damage, premature paint failure, and a variety of health problems.
- Excessive moisture from condensation and high humidity can have negative effects on your property and may indicate poor ventilation or that repairs are needed.
- Water can seep into your house from the outside through a leak in your roof, foundation, or small gaps around windows or doors.
- Normal activities such as cooking, bathing, clothes drying and dish washing also add moisture to the air.
All of these common problems contribute to overall high indoor humidity levels leading to mold and mildew growth. Mold can grow quickly and spread fast if moisture is left untreated, under ideal conditions (optimal temperature and level of humidity) it takes 24-48 hours for mold growth to occur. Typically you will start to see visible mold in 12-20 days, the more time passes the greater chance for mold to develop and spread through your home.
When you find mold damage in your Oakdale or North Bay Shore, long island property it is essential to call for remediation services as quickly as possible, as mold can cause adverse health effects. Additionally, mold also leaves behind a musty smell and has the power to rot organic materials. For health and safety reasons, when you find mold, you should contact SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore professionals and have them remediate it for you.
When SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore arrives at your home, we can swiftly inspect the mold damage and then identify a remediation strategy. The first step to containing the problem is to set up plastic sheeting, block vents and doorways, so the spores cannot spread while the colony is being removed.
Certified professionals have the training and experience to:
- Identify moisture sources
- Evaluate mold growth (visible or suspected)
- Contain damage to the smallest area possible
- Physically remove contamination
- Dry materials to ensure that mold will not return
- Perform or recommend procedures for returning property to a preloss condition
It is a good idea to inspect your house regularly for any damage caused by moisture, if you notice any problems, take immediate action to fix them before they cause further damage or balloon into larger, more complicated issues. Here are some way you can reduce moisture and prevent damage in your home from water and mold.
- Install vent fans in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Run a dehumidifier.
- Cover dirt floors in crawl spaces with a plastic vapor barrier.
- Seal air and duct leaks.
- Houseplants can absorb moisture from the air
- Never let wet clothing or other fabrics lie around
- Avoid activities that add moisture to the air on humid days, such as taking hot showers and boiling water on the stove.
Houseplants that help absorb moisture:
These are perfect plants to have in your home to help decrease moisture in the air, with the added bonus of purifying your air of certain contaminants at the same time.
Reed Palms, English Ivy, and Boston Ferns
These plants will reduce humidity levels by absorbing moisture from the air through their leaves.
Some moisture problems require more complex solutions, and sources of moisture may be hidden.
Consult SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore for a complete inspection if you have serious water damage or mold problems due to humidity, condensation or a water leak or flood. Luckily, our team at SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore is highly qualified and trained in water and mold remediation and restoration services. Every Oakdale, Bay Shore, Bohemia, Brightwaters, long island water and mold restoration situation is unique and we treat them that way.
We are here for you in these very stressful times, our team is Always Here to Help! Contact SERVPRO of Oakdale/North Bay Shore @ 631-563-1709!
Our experts will come in and assess your long island water or mold problem, take the proper steps to limit additional damage. Our teams works quickly to eliminate the water, prepare the area for our advanced drying techniques, inspect for additional damage or mold and work with you to restore your property back to a stable, safe and healthy condition.